Want to know what's happening in the job search world? Well you've come to the right blog post. Here's a short roundup of tools and trends making news the past few weeks.
* The job market is tighter than ever. The Unemployment rate is down to 5.0% which means its a 'candidate market'. No longer do employers have the upper hand. Good people are hard to find and its getting harder.
* CareerBuilder launches new site to help students find their calling. Its called Find Your Calling, and it starts with a 6 question assessment geared towards your career aspirations.
Heck we thought thats what your 20's were for, to figure out what you wanted to do in life, lol.
* Ernst & Young UK says to hell with the degree, there is "no evidence" success at university correlates with achievement in later life".
Finally someone said it. But maybe we should first get rid of asking for people's college transcripts before offering them a job. If they have a degree isn't that what really counts? GPA's are outdated.
GiantGator was a promising new aggregator for freelance gigs. But just as quickly as it went up, it shut down. Apparently one of the freelance sites they crawled for data sued them. Too bad because we thought it was a useful tool.
* Facebook for Work is coming! They are launching private intranets for businesses. This will be seperate from regular account so don't worry about crossover issues. Your company has to sign up for it in order to use it.
* Portfolium, Inc. announced recently that it has closed $1.2M in new funding led by investments from University Ventures, Seed San Diego, and Vertical Venture Partners. To date, the company has raised a total of $2.1M to scale its ePortfolio network, designed to help students showcase their potential to employers via class projects and work samples that align to professional, on-the-job requirements.
* Jobmaster, our job board directory app for iOS has added several new sites including: The Packer Jobs (agriculture), Railyo (Rails developer jobs), Retail Jobs NA (retail), UploadVR (virtual reality) and Symmetry at Work (freelance). Browse all these sites and more from one app.